To prepare for your surgery and the recovery after surgery, surgeons will advise you to schedule a pre-operative clearance with your primary care physician. This appointment will include a complete history and physical examination, will include recommendations for evaluation and treatment, and you will be advised as to what can be expected during hospitalization prior to operation. You will also be advised of the risks, benefits, and anticipated recovery.
At your visit:
Please be sure to bring an updated list of your medications to your appointment, including supplemental herbs and vitamins.
May be required to complete pre-surgical testing which may include EKG, X-Rays, and Laboratory tests.
Review of any assistance you may need with equipment, education, or resources before, during and after your surgery.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Forms that need to be completed.
- Family members or friends that will be caring for you after surgery.
- A list of your current medications and supplements; their dosages (amounts) and how often you take your medications. Please include all prescription meds, non-prescription (over the counter medications), vitamins, supplements, herbs and homeopathic remedies.
- Any recent (less than one year old) cardiac tests that have been done, such as a stress test, or EKG. If you have a cardiac history, you will need your cardiac physician to send a letter of approval to proceed with surgery.
- Any recent (less than one year old) pulmonary tests that have been done at another clinic, such as a Chest X-ray.
- Physician letter of approval to discontinue any blood thinning medication (such as Aspirin, Coumadin®, Plavix®, Lovenox®).
- The phone number where you can be reached the day before surgery. We will need to record this in case of emergency should we need to contact you.
Scheduling the Preoperative Appointment:
Please be sure to schedule your appointment 5 days prior to the date of your scheduled surgery or contact us immediately if this needs to be done sooner (the surgeon will be required to call the doctor).
Please be advised that if you have a cardiac history, the provider will determine if there is any additional testing required and may require 7 business days prior to your scheduled surgery.